Monday, January 3, 2011

MARTABAK TELUR


New year, new habbit...new things to think about. Although I did not officially make this my new year's resolution, it is my intention to get to know cooking from my home town better...the food from the lustrous Indonesia. My first experiment is a dish called Martabak Telur which basically is wrapped ground meat, eggs and shallots, served with cucumber salad. You can make your own martabak skin or use ready made egg roll skins instead...just like I used on the picture.

Although martabak telur is usually eaten as an afternoon snack, it also makes a wonderful breakfast. I can eat it anytime of the day really :)
Ingredients
Skin

500 gr flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
oil
Filling
400 gr ground meat [traditionally we use ground beef, but I use turkey in mine]
6 cloves shallots, minced
4 stems green onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground caraway
10 eggs
Skin | Mix flour, salt and water until the mixture forms a ball. Soak in oil for about 2 hours. Roll dough on oiled surface to form a square.

Filling | Heat a couple of tablespoons oil on a pan, add shallots and sauté until soft and aromatic. Add ground meat, black pepper, salt, coriander and carraway. Cook until meat is done. Whisk 2 eggs, add green onions and ground meat mixture.
Martabak | Heat some oil in a pan on medium low heat and place the skin. Place the filling mixture into the skin, just enough to leave some room on the sides. Fold the sides to form a package. Flip once the bottom side turned brown.
Enjoy with cucumber salad and hot chili.
This recipe is courtesy of my cousin Daisy Legimin: daisycooking.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/martabak-telur/

No comments:

Post a Comment